My friends made this last night for our sewing group night at my home. It was SO yummy. What a treat! I'm thinking I'll be making this for my family...maybe for Valentine's Day or for a Family Home Evening. Super good! Thanks Summer & Shauna!
1 lb. swiss cheese*
2 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
a few dashes of nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
*you can mix swiss & gruyere if you like a strong taste, or you can try it wish cheddar
1. Peel garlic and mince into a large sauce pan. Rub the sauce pan with the minced garlic for flavor.
2. Grate cheese and mix with 1 Tbsp. of flour.
3. Melt the butter in the sauce pan over med-low heat. Add the rest of the flour. Stir well until smooth roue is formed. Add 1/2 cup of milk and continue to stir until smooth. Add the remaining milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens to about the consistency of light cream.
4. Add a handful of the grated cheese. Continue to stir, letting the cheese melt. Add another handful of cheese and stir until it melts. Continue this until all the cheese is added and melted.
5. Once the cheese is smooth stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper
6. Add the lemon juice, stirring more until the mixture is smooth.
7. Warm your fondue pot and add in the cheese. Serve immediately with your favorite dippers.
*We had this served with French baguettes cut up and Granny Smith apples sliced. It was delicious. When eating at fondue restaurants, they also serve their cheese course with cauliflower and carrots.