Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

We just got back from vacation. Do you know that feeling of "I never want to eat fast food again?" Well, I'm there. Just eating out in general doesn't sound appetizing at all. I was glad to get home and do some home-cooking. None of our "norms" have sounded really that great though. So, I've been on a search of recipes. I tear them out from here and there, and I go online and find new ones. Tonight, it was a HUGE success. Something new, different, and yummy--and I HAD all the ingredients I needed! This is a Rachel Ray recipe, and in her words, it is "Yummo"!

ingredients:
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 lbs. ground meat (I used 1 ground turkey, 1 ground beef)
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 red onion, chopped (optional)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 cup medium heat taco sauce OR 1 (14 oz) can mexican stewed tomatoes (I pureed these)
1 cup frozen corn kernels (you can use canned corn, drained)
Salt
8 (8") spinach flour tortillas (I used regular, not spinach)
2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar OR shredded pepper jack
2 scallions, finely chopped (for garnish--I omitted)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425. Warm LARGE skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil--twice around the pan. Add the round meat and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Brown the meat.

2. Add taco sauce or mexican stewed tomatoes to meat. Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.

3. Coat a shallow baking dish (I used a Pyrex 9x13") with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cut the torotillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat/beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again.

4. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions and serve!
Share:

4 comments:

Cindy Reed said...

Wow -- sounds tasty! I'm definitely going to give this one a try! Thanks, Sara!!

Tirsa said...

Looks yummy. I need to come to this blog more often for ideas. Thanks...I'll be back. :)

Tirsa said...

This looks really yummy. I'll have to stop by this blog more often for some ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Ducksfly2gether said...

Mmm! I tried something similar the other night in the MICROWAVE! It was good, but the microwave part was awesome!

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/enchilada-casserole-113524.aspx