Our family really enjoys this meal...it does take some time to prepare--probably close to 40 minutes, maybe more. Get help pealing the potatoes! It is SO worth it though. We get 2 meals out of this. Yum! I found this recipe at justapinch.com, and adapted it better to our liking.
8 cups water
2 pkgs polska kielbasa sausage (I use beef)--sliced & cut pieces in 1/2
1/2 onion, diced finely
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp parsley flakes
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4-5 lbs. potatoes, pealed and cubed
1 stick butter
8 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1. Put 8 cups water into crockpot (if you have a larger crockpot, use it).
2. Add to water: kielbasa, onion, seasonings, potatoes,
3. Place crockpot on high and let simmer.
4. Meanwhile, melt butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour all at once. Whisk it constantly over medium-high heat for apx 5 minutes.
5. Whisk in the cup of milk until it forms a sort of paste. Remove from heat and stir it into soup well--the heat of the soup will eventually melt the roue and thicken the soup.
6. Cook on high for 4-6 hours...stirring only once or twice. When the potatoes are tender (enough) it is done! Enjoy!