1 pkg. (16 oz) penne rigate pasta noodles
1 pkg. (1 lb) ground mild italian sausage
1 cup frozen chopped onion (I'm sure you could dice some fresh too)
2 garlic cloves, crushed or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 pkg. (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
1/3 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1 can (14.5 oz) italian style diced tomatoes
2 cans (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 1/2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped (optional)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, cubed
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 425. Bring salted water to boil in large pot. Add penne pasta and cook until al dente (read package cooking instructions). Drain and return to pan.
2. While pasta is cooking, heath large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, pepper, italian season, onion and garlic and saute until sausage is cooked through, breaking up meat, about 10 minutes.
3. Add in diced and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine with sausage/onion mixture.
4. Combine sausage/onion/tomato mixture with pasta, spinach, mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Pour into 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup parmesan cheese over top.
4. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*Serve with a fresh salad. Very yummy! Enjoy!